Friday, December 31, 2010

malapropos

malapropos \ mal-ap-ruh-POH \  , adjective;
1. Unseasonable; unsuitable; inappropriate.
adverb:
1. In an inappropriate or inopportune manner; unseasonably.
 
This word best describes the recent screenplay I've been working on, the working title being "Time Traveling Jesus", in which Jesus travels back to the day of his birth to stop Godless Liberals from ruining the true meaning of Christmas. While the initial installment is a Christmas film I see a lot of room for sequels. If you recall the 80's classics "Ernest Scared Stupid" and "Ernest Goes to Jail" you'll understand where I'm going with this. "Jesus Goes to Operation Iraqi Freedom" and "Jesus Goes to the Jersey Shore (and sends them all to hell)" might not play well to the coasts, but they'll be a smash hit in the flyover states. Even half drunk on champagne 2 hours after ringing in the new year I can think of 10 awesome places to send a time travelling Jesus, and if I can think of great story lines while I'm half drunk just imagine how much I can accomplish completely wasted! Anyway, I don't have a lot of the key plot points hashed out just yet but I can already tell you that in my films Jesus is dressed up a lot like Elvis (except more rhinestones) and in the climatic scene the villain says
 
"Yeah sure I'm ruining Christmas, what are you going to do about it, Jesus?"
 
To which Jesus replies,
 
"It's not what I'm going to do, it's what they're going to do." At which point a large number of American troops appear from behind J.C.and machine gun down all the bad guys.
 
That's what the word malapropos makes me think of.
 
And since I can't think of a funny example to utilize this word in I'll challenge you to a contest. Submit the funniest usage of the word "malapropos" and win a prize. I don't know what the prize is yet, but rest assured it will be something cheap. I'll publish the winning response with credit to the author in a future WOTD. E-mail me at whenifeeldoomed@gmail.com.
 
Happy New Year all! And happy birthday, planet earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment