Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bloviate

Bloviate

blo·vi·ate

–verb (used without an object), ‐at·ed, ‐at·ing.
1. to speak pompously.
If it does not come across in my writing then I assure I tend to bloviate in person, not that commoners would be able to use that word to describe it (although they have many other colorful words they employ to describe me). 
What this word actually reminds me of is any college writing course I have ever taken. 
If Steve Martin or PG Wodehouse were to casually stroll by, and then, as though by an afterthought, punch me in the face I would attribute their violence to artistic genius and wonder if punching myself in the face might make me a better writer. 
Either way, getting punched in the face is far preferable than listening to a group of 19 year olds wax philosophical on story arc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment