Monday, March 21, 2011

Nettlesome

net·tle·some

–adjective
1.causing irritation, vexation, or annoyance: to cope with a nettlesome situation.
As the younger brother of two sisters I am well practiced in the art of being nettlesome. In fact, give me twenty minutes and I can get on any ones nerves, I am just that nettlesome.  


It surprised me this word isn't used more often given the fact that there is so much in the world that causes a pain in the ass. Take the Eskimo's for example, they have over 50 different words for snow. Why do you think they have over fifty different words for snow? It's because they deal with a ton of snow. And since nearly everything in life is a tremendous pain in the ass, I'm surprised we don't have more words like nettlesome. 


A little further consideration of the word yields a satisfactory explanation as to it's peculiar absence from the vernacular. Nettlesome just sounds so damn grandmotherly. You can't use the same words your grandmother uses in order to write newspaper headlines. 


I'll give you some examples of headlines and you pick the one that doesn't sound right.


"Disaster strikes Japan" or "Nettlesome Wave Washes Ashore" 


"Allied Jets Target Gaddafi" or "Gaddafi finds Rebellion a bit Nettlesome"


See? Nettlesome is a weak word. Life is too aggravating to bother with a word like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment