Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nolens Volens

no·lens vo·lens

1. whether willing or unwilling

I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to pull this word off in a conversation. It doesn't even sound real, it sounds like a children's story about a boy who grows flowers, which gets me thinking. 

I have fond memories of the books read to me as a child. James and the Giant Peach, Where the Wild Things Are, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day among many, many others. While thinking about it I realized something I never quite picked up on as a child. They have have pretty terrifying themes, don't they? I mean James' parents died and he was sent to live with his two Aunts, who nearly tortured him. The boy from Where the Wild Things Are is terrorized by monsters, and Alexander just has an awful day. 

What were they trying to tell us about life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment