Friday, March 25, 2011

gastronome

gas·tro·nome

–noun
a connoisseur of good food; gourmet; epicure.
 
I have a very end of days approach to food in that I eat as much as I can, as often as I can, especially when the meal is free. It doesn't matter if it is good food or bad food, so long as it is edible and can provide me a little fuel to get through the day. 
 
My friend, on the other hand, is a bit of a gastronome and to be honest it has made eating in public with him uncomfortable. He does nothing but talk of food. Where he ate, what he ate, and how good it was. You understand, then, that I always have him choose where we eat, assuming he knows the best places around town based on his apparent love of food. Except no matter what, without fail, he is never happy with the food or the service. He then continues to tell you about another, better restaurant he went to last month, leaving you wondering why he didn't take you to the great place from the beginning. It's maddening. 
 
Fortunately I can be just as happy with a bowl of Macaroni and Cheese as I can be with a good steak. I may not be classy, but I'm always satisfied.   

No comments:

Post a Comment