Thursday, March 24, 2011

Prolix

  pro·lix
–adjective
1.extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long and wordy.
2.(of a person) given to speaking or writing at great or tedious length.
 
It always astonishes me how much people are willing to share with you about their personal life even upon first meeting you. It's one thing to pour your heart out to someone who has been your best friend since the third grade, but quite another to tell someone of your marital problems during the dinner party for a mutual acquaintance. 
Real Life Usage:

Me: What's good on this menu? I've never eaten here before.
Other: Oh, I don't know, I'm not very hungry. I just found out that my 14 year old brother got someone pregnant and my bank account is in the negative so I have to pay for this dinner with a stolen credit card and I'm pretty sure my boyfriend's pressing charges because I hit him...with a snow mobile. 
Me: Totally. I was thinking about getting a chicken sandwich with no mayo. I hate mayo. Not a lot of people know that about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment