Friday, April 29, 2011

nostrum

nostrum

\ NOS-truhm \  , noun;
1.A medicine of secret composition and unproven or dubious effectiveness; a quack medicine.
2.A usually questionable remedy or scheme; a cure-all.
 
Certain types of people will tell you the best way to avoid a hangover is to not drink at all. These types of people are rarely invited to parties. It's the same kind of advice as abstinence is the only 100% reliable form of birth control.  It's theoretically sound, but in the end you just end up screwing yourself. 
 
Other, more alcoholic people offer more tangible nostrums for hangovers with little scientific evidence to back up their claims. One acquaintance of mine swears by Diet Coke and bacon, even going so far as to break her Lentil promise of giving up Pop (or soda, if you're a soda sayer) in order to cure an obstinate hangover effecting both her head and stomach. That might be good for her, but some of us might not want to anger Almighty Being's in order to get rid of a headache. 
 
Another nostrum, one that has apparently been proven by the scientific community, is drinking a glass of water between every alcoholic beverage consumed. If you were to tell me that I should trade the shot of Jagger in my hand for a glass of water I would laugh at you. Then I might try to fight you, because Jagger makes a person crazy. 
 
I suppose there is no good way to cure a hangover, but I will continue my scientific research into this quandary tonight at the bar and report back my findings. Let us reflect on the words of Thomas Edison, who said of getting drunk and trying to find the cure for hang overs, "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward". Truer words were never spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment