Friday, January 14, 2011

de rigueur

de rigueur

duh ri-GUR \  , adjective;

1. Strictly required, as by etiquette, usage, or fashion.

Do you find yourself trying to come across as an arrogant, condescending dick, only to find that people think you're just jovial and friendly? Have you considered trying to sound more French? "De rigueur" is a great word to drop casually in conversation with pompous English majors at the local hipster coffee shop. A word like this will make the creative types scatter and mutter something about "working on a manuscript."

Real Life Usage:
Me: Thanks for inviting me to your party!
Dude: It's not a party, it's my wedding, and I assumed you knew pants were de rigueur.
Me: I am way too drunk to know what your talking about. And the topic of pants are a rather moot point, as you can clearly see I am not wearing any. I lost a bet with the bride's grandmother!
Dude: Clearly.
Me: Now if you will excuse me, it's always been my dream to do the electric slide naked from the waist down.

No comments:

Post a Comment