Monday, January 17, 2011

Mansuetude

Mansuetude

1. Mildness, gentleness

Origin: Mansuetude derives from the Latin mansuescere, literally "to tame by the hand."

This word has a whole lot of action going on with it and I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. It doesn't even sound like a real word, it sounds like a weird spoonerism someone let slip when they were giving a pep talk, then decided it was clever and rolled with it. I included the origin of the word so you might get an idea of how this word keeps jerking me around. The fact that its literal interpretation means "to tame by the hand" reminds me of some blaxploitation film in which a glorified pimp gives a young hustler a speech about handling women by saying "You need a little less attitude and a little more mansuetude."

No comments:

Post a Comment